Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Got some live action today!

Good thing me and Brady got to work on some roping the other day. One of the colts busted out today and went tearing up the place. Raced by the mares pasture, terrorized the ponies and he would not let me get close enough to be caught. His mama sure don´t like me (can´t blame her really) and he´s really taking after her, once caught they don´t mind me much though. Anyway, after about 45 minutes of this cat and mouse game I´d had enough, saddled up Brady and went on a horse hunt. I got close enough to him after another 15 minutes, to let the rope fly. And with my "wicked" houliahan I caught him clean over the neck. Brady acted as he´d done nothing but catch wild and unruly colts, didn´t even flinch when the darn thing descided to try the rope. He reared, threw himself sideway´s and just tested the heck out of the rope. I just dallied, released when he didn´t pull and tightened up when he was acting up. Brady was really good and as soon as the little bugger calmed down he got to following the preasure and came mosying after us back to the barn.

One thing I´ve learned about my horse is that he really steps up when called upon! Same thing in the cowwork. He really is at his best when things are a bit more demanding, like going down the fence.

(Sorry I didn´t get any pics for you but my hands were kinda busy just then)

No comments:

Post a Comment