Monday, February 1, 2010

Lessons learned...or not?

Just got back from our friends down in Skara som 250 miles from home. Spent the weekend working Brady on cows and hangin out with our friends down there.

Took some 5 hours driving down with trailer and all. It was cold and snowy the whole trip. Brady was mad from the get go as he wasn´t let out with his buddies, but put in that misserable shoebox of a trailer. Had to put a hoody on him as well to protect him from the cold and I bet he senced how goofy he looked.
(it was about -23 C wich is a moderate -9 F! for all you sun drenched CalyFonys).

Annelie went with us this time and she walked him a little when we got down there. Saddled him and warmed him up a bit before we started on the cows. Tried an argentine snaffle on him for the first time with decent results. He was abit annoyed with the chinstrap but nothing major. He was pretty good on the cows though. We just worked a few out of the herd, made a few turns slow and easy, corrected when needed, and finished on a good note I think.

We took turns going in with somebody turning back and the others shooting the bull off to the side. I took one or two down the fence as well just to feel him out a little and se if I had any rate and/or stop in him. I really think that´s his forte as he doesn´t hesitate one bit going after them critters down the fence, he stopps pretty good and turns better than I ever thought he would, and if I can place us in a better position on the cow going down there we´ll be fine.

Saturday we had dinner at the hotell we stayed in with Johan and Håkan and his family. Even though it took for ever for the staff to haul out the food it was pretty good once we got it.

Sunday was more of the same, except we were only two guy´s working as Håkans kids got sick and he unfortunately had to take his family home.

Brady had a bit more attitude though and after warming him up in the hackamore I had to put him back in the Argentine for the cow work.

Again he was pretty good, I have to get him to stop better though in the herdwork as he´s in a hurry to get after the cow and forgets the sequence in wich we do things, STOP, draw, turn, not bounce, U-turn, race... The key is the stop though, if we get that the rest will follow. He´s starting to read and rate them alot better though and it´s nice to hear friends praising his progress, thank you. I have some work to do on me still and likewise it´s good to have friends pointing stuff out. Riding and working alone all the time makes ju pick up a LOT of bad habits and it´s good to have somebody pointing them out, thanks Johan.

Will see if I can edit some footage Annelie took and get it posted. I don´t have a clue as to how though so bare with me...

No comments:

Post a Comment