Saturday, December 12, 2009

"The" Futurity

This weekend hundreds of thousands of $$$ will be handed out to deserving cutting horses in the finals of the NCHA Futurity. For three weeks straight they´ve been compeeting. The previously unshown threeyear olds in the finals will have compeeted 4 times during that 3 week span, cutting some pretty tough cows. Out of a field of over 600 enties in the open division, only a handfull will meet in the finals tomorrow. Not to mention all the hopefulls who fell off leading up to the prelims due to injury or the fact they just weren´t Futurity material.

At any rate, the best of the best will square off in today´s semi-finals and then tomorrow in the finals. Following this event and the NRCHA Futurity in Reno, watching theese wonderful athletes, keeps me focused on my own goals of raising the finest horses I can (on my limited budget).
Peeka Pep
Building a breeding program takes patience and time plus knowing what individuals to keep and the caracter to stick with your plan. I must say I´ve been fortunate to get my hands on some pretty nice horses and the way Justa Bita Pep has started I know I´m headed in the right direction. Speaking of Peppy, she´s in foal to Peeka Pep, a´stud I´ve been ranting about for some time, and he actually had a finalist in the Am. division of the Futurity last night. He placed 20th something and earned close to $6.000. Another one, Peak Easy, is in the Open semi-finals to night, so fingers crossed.

Peak Easy

No comments:

Post a Comment