Tuesday, June 8, 2010

More from the archives...

Thought I´d keep digging in the archives and show you some pics on occasion.

This is from NCHA Hall of Famee Leon Harrels place, when he was located in Manifee, CA.
The horse I´m riding here is a Shorty Lena gelding named Shorty´s Sweet Boy, NCHA $12.000.
Me, Shorty & Leon

I rigged the camera on a homemade rack attached to my leg, trying to capture the action more from the horses view. I used a hand held remote-shutter for exposing the pics. The camera mounted on my leg.

On the camera I had a fisheye lens (super wideangle).


At first it was kinda tricky, riding with that thing bangin around on my leg. Holding on to the horn and the remote with the same hand was a bit problematic aswell. Fortunately the horse was all business and didn´t mind it much even when things got wild.

This pic is right before the shutter went bezerk and fired away close to a 1000 pics.


The noise the camera made scattered the herd to the 4 corners of the universe, all the while Shorty tried to cut and control all of them!! I ofcourse took my eyes of the cows and tried to fix the remote while Shorty kept at it, hard right, stop, hard left, run run run stop, hard right. They say I looked like a ragdoll up there, trying to shut the darn camera off while going full speed back and forth across the pen. Finally I gave up and started pounding the remote against the saddle horn. It eventually broke, sending pieces of plastic, battery´s and cords flying! When I looked up there were cattle, herdholders, turnbacks and a hard laughing Leon in a serious mess all over the pen! When I checked the photos afterwards it was sky-leg-sky-ground-cow-ground-sky-black-black.....all in a serious blur.





Some pretty interesting shots too, if you don´t have an inclination for motionsickness!

Me and Shorty scoring a 73! (yes, I bribed the judge)

No comments:

Post a Comment